Note: If you got here using a web search engine, you can find the program here.
Disclaimer: Although DecodeAppleFile seems to work fine, it is distributed "as is". Use at your own risk. So there.
DecodeAppleFile is small Windows 95 utility that decodes AppleSingle and BinHex files. Although some, especially MacMIME capable, applications automagically decode AppleSingle and BinHex files, others do not and just give you one or more binary files. If you have a file that is still Base64 encoded and has the MIME headers, you should use a MIME decoding utility such as MPack decode it. DecodeAppleFile does not parse MIME headers. If you are currently using WinZip or some other program to decode BinHex files, keep using it. There's no reason to use this instead,except maybe the fact that DecodeAppleFile is free.
Unlike the Macintosh version of this program, DecodeAppleFile does not handle AppleDouble files because it only extracts the "data fork" information from encoded files and AppleDouble files, by definition, have the data already in a separate file. Related to this, some AppleSingle and BinHex encoded files only contain resource (and/or other Mac specific) information. Because there is no encoded data fork, you will just get an error message if you try to decode these files.
To decode a file, run the application and choose the BinHex or AppleSingle file you wish to decode. By default, the list will show you all files, but you can limit the type to BinHex (.hqx) or AppleSingle files (.sng). AppleSingle files typically do not have a file extension (I just made up .sng) so you probably will want to keep looking at "all files". Once you select the file, DecodeAppleFile will attempt to figure out the default name of the output file from the encoded file. You will then be asked where to save the decoded file. Make sure you don't try to overwrite you encoded file.
Note that DecodeAppleFile is my first attempt at a (non-"Hello World") Windows application. As such, it has almost no user interface other than the Open/Save dialogs and a few error message windows. For now, it should still be considered beta and test software. If you do find any bugs or have problems with it, please let me know.
The AppleSingle code is based on source code originally by Chris Newman at CMU (MPack) (see below).
If you have any questions, comments, (constructive) criticism, or bug reports please let me know. You can contact me at the address(es) below.
Carl Bell's Web Page
Stuff I've Written
Carl W. BellPhone:
Academic and Research Computing Services
Baylor University Electronic Library
One Bear Place #97148
Waco, TX 76798
(254) 710-4065Baylor's Fine Print: This software, data and/or documentation contain trade secrets and confidential information which are proprietary to Baylor University. Their use or disclosure in whole or in part without the express written permission of Baylor University is prohibited.
This software, data and/or documentation are also unpublished works protected under the copyright laws of the United States of America. If these works become published, the following notice shall apply:
Copyright © 1998 Baylor UniversityThe name of Baylor University may not be used to endorse or promote products derived from this software without specific prior written permission. THIS SOFTWARE, DATA AND/OR DOCUMENTATION ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" AND WITHOUT ANY EXPRESS OR IMPLIED WARRANTIES, INCLUDING, WITHOUT LIMITATION, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY AND FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE.
All Rights Reserved
When permission has been granted to make copies of this software, data and/or documentation, the above notices must be retained on all copies.
Permission is hereby granted for non-commercial use and distribution of DecodeAppleFile.
Chris Newman's Fine Print:
* (C) Copyright 1994 by Christopher J. Newman
* All Rights Reserved.
* Permission to use, copy, modify, distribute, and sell this software and its
* documentation for any purpose is hereby granted without fee, provided that
* the above copyright notice appear in all copies and that both that
* copyright notice and this permission notice appear in supporting
* documentation, and that the name of Christopher J. Newman not be used in
* advertising or publicity pertaining to distribution of the software without
* specific, written prior permission. Christopher J. Newman makes no
* representations about the suitability of this software for any purpose. It
* is provided "as is" without express or implied warranty.
* CHRISTOPHER J. NEWMAN DISCLAIMS ALL WARRANTIES WITH REGARD TO THIS SOFTWARE,
* INCLUDING ALL IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY AND FITNESS, IN NO EVENT
* SHALL CHRISTOPHER J. NEWMAN BE LIABLE FOR ANY SPECIAL, INDIRECT OR
* CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES OR ANY DAMAGES WHATSOEVER RESULTING FROM LOSS OF USE,
* DATA OR PROFITS, WHETHER IN AN ACTION OF CONTRACT, NEGLIGENCE OR OTHER
* TORTIOUS ACTION, ARISING OUT OF OR IN CONNECTION WITH THE USE OR PERFORMANCE
* OF THIS SOFTWARE.